Saturday, April 5, 2014

Birthday - Giraffe with Gleaming Gold

Hi, Friends.....

I have a card to share today that was a lot of fun to make.  It's a belated birthday card for a friend who likes animal print decor.  I had found a couple animal print items to give her as gifts and decided to make a matching theme card....the Happy Birthday sentiment is inside the card.  My concept for this card is "Mementos from a Trip to Africa"  with the "photo" of a giraffe and the little "treasures" in the corner.


As you see, I made the gold embossed giraffe the focal point, adding gold photo corners and framing it for accent.  I've had this giraffe in my stash for years and don't remember what brand it is.  I will try to figure that out.  The patterned paper is DCWV Safari Chic and the black cardstock is Coredinations.




Here's a close up of the "gold" and the wooden heart in the corner.  These are "rediscovered" pieces, as I like to call them, that I found at thrift stores.  I LOVE them on here.



The gold punchinella was from my Mom's stash.  She's passed on now for a number of years, but it gives me warm feelings to use her things.  :)



 Here's a close up of the little clothespin (from a set my hubby bought me as a surprise <3 ).  I stained it brown with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

The little bird is from  Maya Road Vintage Kraft Bird Pins.  I didn't use the pin part.  Instead, I inked with the Walnut Stain and glued the halves together.  Then I sprinkled gold embossing powder on and shook most of it off to leave it only speckled....and heat embossed as usual.  Love the speckled look.

Here's another shot at an angle so you can see the gleam of the gold elements.   LOVE IT!!


I finished up the card with a natural fiber bow and mounted it on a square kraft card base.

Fortunately, I won't have to mail this chunky card since my friend lives locally.  :)
<3
Janis


 I am entering this card in the following challenges:

1.  My Time To Craft Challenge #242 - Wildlife 
2.  Just Add Ink # 209 - Just Add Layers
3.  The Artistic Stamper  April Challenge - Embossing and Texture 
4.  Eclectic Paperie ePlay Challenge - Wood 
5.  Miriam's Crafting Blog 11th Monthly Challenge -- Texture 
6.  Stamplorations April 2014 Challenge -- Stamps & Technique

19 comments:

  1. Wow, Janis - a lot of love and effort has gone into this special card for your friend. Lots of things to draw the eye in, and all the layers and texture are wonderful. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! I love the metallic accents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your friend will be really happy getting this wonderful card! Thanks so much for playing with us at STAMPlorations. I hope to see you there next time, too! Hugs, Cornelia DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I love how you've tied all the gold together in this card - it just screams Africa to me!
    Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink this week.

    Trish
    JAI Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightfully eclectic card Janis. I really love the thought and meaning that went into to so many of the details - and I just love the gold too :) Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this card!! I've always liked giraffes and animal print too. We should do something like this theme for a craft day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful design Janis the gold and embellishments are wonderful.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friend is going to love this gorgeous gold card! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Janis! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Artistic Stamper!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card! All your layers are just beautiful and I love the way you've tied them all in with the gold accents. Thanks fro playing along at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool card with the metallic touches! Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely card for your friend who I am sure will LOVE it. Perfect image and keepsakes added. Thanks for sharing with us this week at My Time To Craft.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janis, LOVE the framed giraffe and all of your details, especially that wood heart! Thx for playing with us at the eclectic Paperie ePlay wood challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great card with the gold embossing, the buttons and angled panels - and the sweet little clothes pin! Thanks for joining in on the eclectic Papery challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful idea to add the wooden clothes pin. Gorgeous card with the gold embossing. Thanks so much for playing along with us in our April ePlay challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous card, love the use of the little wooden peg and the black and gold is really effective. Thanks for joining us at eclectic Paperie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card Janis, thank you so much for joining us for the ePlay Challenge, goodluck.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! I love the metal accents! I'm so glad you decided to play along with us for the ePlay Wood Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis